Monday, February 22, 2010

Birthday Week/Weekend

So this past week I celebrated my 25th birthday, and it struck me by surprise. I found myself saying all day, "wow, I'm really 25." It's so strange to realize that 3 years have passed since I was in treatment. Sometimes it feels like a short while, other times it feels much longer than 3 years. I really try to not define things pre and post cancer but it is a difficult thing not to do, because in my memory everything really is divided. My goal for 25, is to do my best to stop associating struggle and obstacles post cancer. I tend to in my mind see everything pre-diagnosis to a bit lighter, and I hope I can stop that kind of thinking.

I'm a big birthday fan, and always enjoy the celebrations and phone calls/emails that come with it. It's so wonderful to hear from people who you may not have spoken to in months or years. I had a wonderful Valentines day weekend with Carlton followed up by an awesome birthday. Carlton treated me to this Venezuelan restaurant I had been wanting to try! It was delicious. And on Friday one of my closest friends came into town, and we had a great dinner and conversation. Carlton's birthday is just 3 days after mine, he turned 26 on Saturday. And at first I have to be honest it was tough to share my birthday celebrations (usually we end of celebrating the same weekend)...but over the past 3 birthdays I have really grown to love it. More of our friends (2 of my best friends and one fiance:) drove in from Syracuse, and it was just so wonderful to have them with us for the weekend. It was a lot of people for our wee apartment, but there was certainly a lot of love.

<3 It was a wonderful week with the exception of another terrible loss..

Carlton and I did lose our friend RJ to DRST (a rare cancer) this week, which has taken a toll on our Young Adult Cancer Network, but we are happy that RJ is no longer in pain, and hopefully another guardian angel for us down here. Rest in Peace RJ..we miss you, and wish we could have spent more time with you before you were taken from us..

Loosing Pam & RJ so close is very upsetting for me, but meanwhile renews my passion for advocacy for us YA's ..cancer sucks and takes people whom fight like hell to live.
More to come on this...thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment