Saturday, February 6, 2010

A loss..

Rest in Peace dear Pam...

I received news yesterday when I arrived at Hope Lodge that Pam had passed away on Thursday from a long battle with leukemia and lymphoma. I haven't begun to process this news yet. Just praying that she is no longer in pain and that she can eat everything and anything she wants in heaven, and that she's dancing decked out in glamorous jewelry from head to toe..


This past blog is from an earlier encounter I had with Pam..


During my September weekend I met Pam. Pam had just arrived at the Lodge after being discharged from the hospital post- stem cell transplant. Her brother had been her donor, and the transplant was successful. Pam was staying at the Lodge with her mom, whom would be her lifeline- doing all of her cooking as post stem cell you cannot eat anything that you do not make, because of the threat of bacteria. Pam is a middle aged woman from NYC, whom left behind her husband and teenage son to come to Boston for treatment. She is lovely, funny- kind and caring. We hit it off , realizing our diagnosis date was the same! Cancer rocked our world on the very same day..it's an interesting thing to ponder both of us shocked, our families, loved ones distraught the same day..

So we talked a lot her first weekend and I looked forward to seeing Pam and her mom Marilyn in October. When I arrived Halloween weekend Pam was one of the first faces I saw. She looked stronger, with more color and vitality than the month before. We again shared laughs and some good conversation. She turned me on to this ring that she and her mom had bought, I fell in love with it and bought one the next week to celebrate my 3 years since cancer rocked my world..
I left that weekend unsure if they would be around when I was back in December. Yesterday as I entered the Lodge I saw Pam, and I was so excited.."PAM! YAY! Your here!" And she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "Sarah, my leukemia is back". Right there, in the kitchen of the Hope Lodge we both just lost our breath. I struggled to find the words.."Ok, ok, Pam I am so sorry- but we'll keep fighting. It's ok- your having more treatment?" Pam replied, "yes, yes there going to try crazy stuff."


That was then, this is now. I'm missing Pam this weekend, and trying to focus on the love and appreciation she had for this place..I'll keep wearing my ring and thinking of what an amazing woman she was.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry - cancer sucks. It takes too many people, too young.

    ReplyDelete