Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Art of Cooking

Growing up in a close knit italian family that loved food, I learned at an early age that cooking was an art form, and that meals were the uniting force of our family culture. The Delaney clan (FYI were way more Italian looking than we look on paper) really came together in the kitchens that filled my childhood. My first memories are of my Nana and my Uncle Jo Jo cooking together on the North Side of Syracuse, in a kitchen that had been made in the basement of my Great Grandfathers house. The smell of garlic sauteing in olive oil would bring the family to it's feet! I strongly believe my traditional spirit of family and holidays come from these memories of creating a beautiful meal and enjoying it together with loved ones. 

I always had an interest in cooking, hanging around my Nana's knees in the kitchen as a kid to taking "lessons" from her through college. My mom is also a wonderful cook, who provided my sister and I with a hot meal almost every night through our childhood. So as I developed skills in the kitchen I often came to childhood staples for inspiration. 

Once I began college and became more aware of healthy cooking, it brought a set of challenges. I had grown up on pasta and italian bread! (No wonder I have always struggled with my weight :)) However I maintained my love of cooking, creating healthy weight friendly dinners for myself while keeping the traditional italian flavors I had grown up on. When I was diagnosed with cancer, I looked forward to having a lot of free time during chemo-therapy so I could cook! Unfortunately I could not stomach the strong smells I always loved, so it was best for me to stay out of the kitchen. There was a shift in my palate, I could no longer tolerate strong flavors and often ate baked potatoes or toast. This was very tough on me, as i'd worked hard to lose 50+ pounds in the 3 years prior to my diagnosis. With the steroids I was on, and the change in diet I slowly started to gain..

So here I stand today, back to a place where I am healthy, cooking and ... overweight. I have enjoyed the years I've spent developing my cooking skills since I've finished treatment; as cooking as now become an art of meditation for me. I treasure creating yummy dinners for Carlton and myself. I also take any opportunity I can to cook for family& friends. But i've lost the balance of my love for food, and maintaining a healthy weight. While I still cook very healthy using whole grains, and healthy oils, I feel I have some growing to do in terms of balance. I hope that I can find balance between my love of cooking and loosing weight! I've often felt I sacrifice one for the other, but I am on a mission to change that!

With the holidays upon us, I am loving every minute I have to cook- but keeping in mind the portions and nutrition of the food I am serving. As I mentioned how important laughter is, I believe cooking,family and tradition are medicine as well.

Ok off to make mushroom risotto for a potluck!:)
<3

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Sarah.

    Funny enough -- one of my first memories as a kid was coming downstairs to the kitchen and Uncle Jo Jo cooking chicken cutlets with an apron on...and nothing else. Sick.

    Great stuff on the blog. Keep it up.

    Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey El,
    Thanks for taking the time to read it! And that's a gross memory..sorry! hahahah

    Your doing such cool stuff over there, inspiring the rest of us younger peeps.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete