Tuesday, December 1, 2009

So I had this idea...

Well here I am posting my very first blog. Funny, I've been debating starting a blog for about 3 years now. And today, I bit the bullet! :) I was inspired to finally do so after chatting via bbm with a fellow Hodgkins survivor, who just finished her last radiation treatment. I was introduced to Amanda through a friend of a friend of a friend, I think.. we've never met- but the connection between us has been strong since our first conversation. I believe it has something to do with the instant connection that comes with a diagnosis of cancer as a young woman in your early twenties, as well as sharing the same fighting spirit. This young woman, Amanada and I were sharing our passion for doing something related to our cancer experience. I shared with her that my diagnosis has led me to a career in Public Health, as well as working for the American Cancer Society one weekend a month as a weekend manager for Boston's Astrazenece Hope Lodge. She expressed feelings that resognated strongly with me, ones I felt nearly 3 years ago as I finished my own treatment. Feelings of hope, strength and courage, as well as a sense of cancer giving her a chance to make her life exactly what she wanted, on her terms-- and most importantly paying it forward, in helping other young adult women diagnosed.

This sense of committment to our cause (Young Adult Women) is not shared only between Amanda and I. I have had numerous conversation with other survivors around the country via e-mail or through Planet Cancer retreats (I love Heidi Adams, fyi) whom share this passion but don't know where to start. I believe I fell into that category until very recently, but i've decided I may not know exactly how I can help other Feisty Survivors out there, but in time it will all be clear!


I do have to say another recent conversation pushed me to get moving on this journey.. I receieved news that a friend from elementary school had been diagnosed with uterine cancer in August, but only recently reached out to me. I was traveling home to Syracuse for Thanksgiving and we decided to meet. This news really hit me hard- as the news does anytime I hear about a young woman in her twenties is diagnosed, especially one I know. Hillary and I met for coffee at a Starbucks in my hometown of Liverpool, NY. As soon as she walked through the door her strength and courage kept me smiling! Although she was in the throws of Chemo-therapy, and recovering from significant surgeries she was full of light. We shared similar stories about family, our oncology teams, relationships with friends and partners. I believe we both walked away feeling stronger. The solidarity between young adult women diagnosed with cancer can not be replicated.

I hope that with this blog I can share stories of solidarity to inspire laughter and strength from one feisty survivor to another!

5 comments:

  1. So happy you've started this finally! And I cannot believe it's been 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job - you are on your way. Looking forward to following and supporting in all ways possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Sarah!! We love you and Carlton!! You guys are so freaking adorable I can't stand it. So psyched you are bloggint!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed reading your blog, Sarah! Thanks for all you're doing. I wanted to tell you that this past summer I was unexpectedly diagnosed with melanoma. I did not need to go through chemo, as the melanoma was very thin, but did have surgery to excise the cancerous area. I now see a dermatologist every 3 months and do monthly self-checks of my skin because melanoma is so notorious for reoccurring. I want you to know that you have been inspiring to me on my journey with what you have gone through. Thank you! I wish I knew how to reach out to more people to help prevent cancer and support those who have it. Thanks for being so strong! Miss you! -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks so much for your support everyone!xoxo

    ReplyDelete