Monday, December 7, 2009

I've decided in the past few weeks to go ahead and apply to the University of Maryland's Master's in Social Work program (MSW). If all goes well and I am accepted I would be studying, Management and Community Organization (MACO) side of Social Work, I would not be looking to be a clinical social worker! (At least I don't think so as of now)

Over the past years i've contemplated going back to grad school on numerous occasions. I've gone back and forth between a Masters in Public Health , MSW and even a Masters in Public Policy. Something struck me last week while I was googling around at different programs...why wait I thought to myself? So rather than delaying- I've decided to move ahead with my application. It's a very exciting and comforting experience thus far! It's nice to commit mentally to one school and one program for now. The great thing is, if I decided I still wanted to do a dual MSW/MPH I can do my MPH at Hopkins post MSW! We shall see! In the mean time I have ordered transcripts, have 2 letters of reccomendation in progress and soon I will be writing my essay! My goal is to get by application in by January 31, 2010! Hold me to it readers :)

Besides the program the great thing about UMD is that it's what feels like home to me. Having spent 2003-2008 in the Baltimore/DC areas, and with Carltons family as well as my Uncle and his family, as well as my Aunt and her family and a bunch of close friends it really feels like a second home. Syracuse will always be my hometown, but DC is not too far behind. The idea of moving back and for Carlton and I to settle in to our life seems like a logical step, and it would be nice! But are we ready to settle down?!?

It's a confusing time to be nearly 25, living with my partner and loving my job in a city where I don't have many other ties!  Do we stay in Boston? Do we go?  Grad school now, later? Ahh the fun conversations Carlton and I get to have in the next few months!:):)

Funny how cancer changed things for both of us..I doubt if that lovely c word had not found it's way into our lives that we would be where we are...but who knows right? I have found faith and solace in everything that happens in my life. As long as I have my health, Carlton and Chaz- we'll be a ok!







2 comments:

  1. Yes! That school is in the law building :) That means I would get to see your beautiful face all the time during my 3rd year.

    And you're right at the age I was when Ian and I had to discuss a lot of those same things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY, SARAH!! It's so great to hear you getting all pumped up and planning for the next phase of your life. The DC area sounds like a great move for you guys and I think a social work degree would be awesome for you.

    It's such a delight to read your thoughts and see how much strength and positivity is flowing from you!!

    Lots of love to you, Carlton and the pooch!

    ReplyDelete